Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

My toro Z4235 wont start

Customer Question

my toro Z4235 wont start
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 5 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.Have you checked to verify that you are getting spark at the plugs? The engine is cranking over now but just won't start, Is this correct?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Correct. I believe it is a fuel issue. I've checked most of the switches. Not the brake switch
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I checked spark. It's OK. New fuel filter not filling when cranking
If you unhook the fuel line at the filter do you have fuel flow from the tank to there?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
already checked the fuel to the filter and to the carb. both ok. cranks but wont start. getting gas to the fuel filter and carb. getting spark. checked fuel solenoid and it works. new air filter. new plugs, charged battery. tried car battery while cranking
Let's try removing the air filter and spraying a little carburetor cleaner or fuel directly into the intake and see if it will start then. If it does then you know that you aren't getting fuel through the carburetor. If it doesn't then you know that the problem is either compression or spark related.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You keep asking the same questions. Let's forget this transaction. I am moving on
I am just trying to narrow down your problem and so far the information that you have provided hasn't helped. Some of these carburetors have a fuel solenoid on them and if the solenoid isn't working properly then you won't get fuel through the carburetor in order to start and run. That is the reason that I ask you to spray carburetor cleaner or a little fuel directly into the intake. This would tell us for sure if you are getting fuel through the carburetor. You did tell me that you are getting fuel to the carburetor but not if you are getting fuel through it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Look back. I told you I checked the fuel solenoid already. Thanks for trying.
I can see that I am not going to be able to help you. I will opt out of your question which will allow one of the other experts here to add any additional suggestions that they may have.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.
You checked compression, but did you remove rocker cover to see if the valves are opening? If you have spark, and fuel solenoid is working, and have compression, either valves are not opening, or the timing is off.