JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I connected my battery terminals backwards on my cab cadet

Customer Question

I connected my battery terminals backwards on my cab cadet riding mower. (ltx 1045) Now it wont start. Any thoughts?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: What else do you need. I attached the negative to the positive and vise versa .. I turned the key and it would not start. I reversed them and it still wont start. I have a battery charger now connected to the battery. Is there a fuse I need to check?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: I have to believe that cub cadet is even smart enough to put a fail safe so idiots like me dont ruin the whole electrical system.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 6 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.You have most likely blown the in line fuse that is located near the starter solenoid. This is the first place that I would start my troubleshooting to solve the issue. It should be a 15 or 20 amp fuse.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will check the manual for its location unless you can quickly tell me.
On your machine the fuse is most likely located under the left side rear fender in the corner. It is normally clipped onto the frame in a small holder.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is it actual attached to frame? I do see a little box where the battery terminals run to. Access doe not look easy. If I am correct how do I get to the fuses? And more importantly, I inherited this mower from my homes previous owner. This mower is broken more than it works. In short, I just want to fix this thing and move on. What will it cost me for you to get this done. Thanks Lou
Within about six inches of the the box that you are referring to should be a fuse holder. It will have a small red wire coming from the box that you are referring to over to it. There will be a fuse in the holder that is most likely blown. Normally the fuse holder can be pulled out through the opening just under the rear fender and the fuse replaced that way without taking anything else apart. I am including a wiring schematic of the machine that may help you. If you will note the starter solenoid in the upper left portion of the schematic you will see a small red wire leading down toward the bottom of the schematic that has a fuse in it, this is what you want to look for on your machine.The cost is based on your previous selection which is and $18 cost to you. I will continue here with you until we have solved your problem or you decide to not continue with the issue. I am more than glad to answer any questions that you may have about your issue.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I got it but I did detach the solenoid from the frame. The fuse was blown as you stated. I am going to buy one now. I wish I contacted you on the other two issues I had with this mower; an uneven cutting deck which I fixed and immediately the mower drive cable spring broke. I hate this mower. My push mower is a honda. It's wonderful. ... I will save this link ... I am sure I will be a repeat customer. Again Thanks!
Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.Please take a moment to rate your experience.