Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I just purchased a used john deere L100 tractor with 17hp &S

Customer Question

I just purchased a used john deere L100 tractor with 17hp B&S engine and it seems to run fine except it wants to constantly run full throttle. I can manually move the throttle on the carb and it does idle, however as soon as I let go it persists in running high speed? Air and fuel filter replaced as well as new NGK plug.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: From diagrams I have seen there does not seem to be missing parts but not sure
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.
Is there any feel from the governor if you run throttle manually at the carburetor? Is linkage on correct? Here is site showing the linkage.
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_28b702_carb.asp
If no push/pull from the governor lever, check to be sure linkage is tight on the governor shaft, and if it is, the inner governor may be broken!