Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Jonn Deere 455 with a Yanmar 3 cyl desile. When I

Customer Question

I have a Jonn Deere 455 with a Yanmar 3 cyl desile. When I depress the brake pedal to start it, it starts, but as I release the brake pedal it stops the engine.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Wayne replied 7 months ago.
Hi I'm WayneI will try to help you with thiswhat is the part number of the switch you bought , Please
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
switch Part No. AM128925
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Switch AM 128925
Expert:  Wayne replied 7 months ago.
Hi Thank you for that It should be AM 115055if this is a up date switch the dealer should have instructions how to installanother words jumping 2 extra terminals
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The switch is not the real problem as I have had a jumper on the 2 wires instead of a switch for 2 years. It has always started and run fine. Now the problem is when releasing the break pedal the engine dies every time.
Expert:  Wayne replied 7 months ago.
Hi Oh that is a different story this was a ongoing issue I will opt-out , and post back to the board Sorry I could not help , Wayne
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.
Brake switch is just part of the run circuit. The seat switch is also involved and the pto switch. And the wires between them! Start with the seat switch and harness!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The seat switch wires have been jumpered also for 2 years. the switch acted erratic so I jumpered those wires also. Now that leaves the PTO switch? It is the off or down position. After starting the engine it runs fine with the break pedal depressed, it`s when you let up on the break pedal it dies. I do hear the solenoid click or engage as I depress the break pedal to start the engine. Your thoughts?
What solenoid clicks when you depress the brake? Sometimes when you start bypassing switches, you add problems , as switch may be N/C , not N/O. So jumpering it never lets it open. ???
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
As I have been saying, with these plunger switches jumped it started fine for at least 2 years. My suspicion about the solenoid clicking might be for the glow plug circuit? Something I noticed when this problem started, I would have to depress the break pedal 4 or 5 times before the engine would crank and start. It would only start after hearing the solenoid or relay click. Now it will click each time the break pedal is depressed. Note, I said solenoid(it could be a relay)
You have bypassed most of the switches. And this is diesel engine, so when it kills the engine, it is tripping the fuel shutoff solenoid. Why not rewire the fuel solenoid or use a manual kill cable onthe klll lever, than fight the safety switch wiring on the unit? I have a 455 wiring schematic and frankly I can't make heads or tails out of it!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Curtis, I will give it a try.
Mike Barton
Thank you, ***** *****!