Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

I have an onan 4000 generator. Light flashes and it clicks

Customer Question

I have an onan 4000 generator. Light flashes and it clicks when trying to start. I jumpered high amp lines on both sides of tge solenoid together and it seems to short out the system as in all 12 volt goes dead and the started then does nothing. What could this mean?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: It is about 3 years old about 350 hours. Never a problem before.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just put in a brand new battery too.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 5 months ago.
It sounds like your starter may be locked in to the flywheel. or your unit may not be connected to the battery you changed, and the battery the genset is connected to may be bad.