Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a YTH2348 mower and when it is running it has a very

Customer Question

I have a YTH2348 mower and when it is running it has a very loud "houling or growling" noise. It's very annoying. It may very slightly get better when it is very warmed up but I may just be getting used to it too. It only has 87 hours on it and I very careful to follow all maintenance schedules. I did just get it out for the the season (Iowa) and it did not do this last year. I keep it in a dry storage unit.
What do I do??
JG
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Do you hear the noise after you depress your brake pedal fully? Press your brake pedal down as far as it will go. Let's see if the noise still exist. If not, then you likely have an idler pulley that is at fault. We can continue from here. Thanks!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No difference.
Tonight I checked if it sounded different with the throttle at different speeds. From low to high engine speed I would say only barely, if any, difference at all. That surprised me.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for this information. When you have an opportunity, I would like for you to try something for me.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok. What is it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
?
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Let's try a process of elimination. Remove your deck belt, and your transmission drive belt, from the crankshaft pulley that bolts to the bottom of your engine crankshaft. This will tell us if our problem is coming from your engine, or if it is coming from something that runs from your engine power.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
There is a possibility that your starter gear is sticking in the ring gear on your flywheel, causing your starter gear to constantly spin, even after your engine starts up.