Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

After pumping the bulb, engine starts, then shuts off. New

Customer Question

After pumping the bulb, engine starts, then shuts off. New gas, carburetor seemed clean, switch in start position. Any ideas why it won't stay running.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 5 months ago.
HI, my name is***** will be assisting you.This sounds like you just aren't getting fuel through the carburetor in order to keep the engine running. Can you tell me which engine this machine has on it? Did you clean the main jet and fuel nozzle that goes through the center of carburetor stem?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Briggs & Stratton
Yes I have a set of needles for cleaning carbs ( I restore vintage motorcycles) and used them. No clogs or dirt. The gas was clear when I dumped it - no dirt or small bits
Did you clean the three holes that are in the bolt/nut that holds the carburetor bowl on? These actually serve as the main jet for the carburetor. There are two parallel to each other in the sides of the bolt/nut and one down through the top center of it, if these are not clean the fuel will not pass through to keep the engine running.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you have a picture/diagram? This carb has no bowl, it connects directly to the gas tank.
If you can provide the model and type number from the engine, I can provide you with a diagram of the carburetor.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Model 01467-3
Type 3400CP
Serial(###) ###-####
The model information that you provided does not give me any information on the engine or the carburetor. There should be some numbers on the engine itself that will help me, if you can provide those I will see what I can find to help you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Those are the only numbers on the entire unit!
This is a waste of my time and yours. I will seek help elsewhere.
There has to still be a fuel restriction in the carburetor main jet that is causing your issue. If not, then the engine would continue to runI am sorry that I can't help you any further.