JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines

I have a cub cadet riding lawnmower. Not sure the model number.

Customer Question

I have a cub cadet riding lawnmower. Not sure the model number. It wasn't starting and said low batt. I got a new battery and it still won't turn over and still says low batt
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 5 months ago.
HI, my name is***** will be assisting you.My first suggestion would be to have the battery load tested. In order to be considered good the battery would have to hold up to at least 8.5VDC under a load test. My guess is that your batteries may have a bad cell which is causing it to show up as being low. Do you hear any clicks, buzzes when you try to start the engine?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't hear anything. This is a new battery. The lights turn on. This machine is les then a year old.
I understand that it is a new battery but I have seen new batteries that would not hold up to a load test. It may be enough voltage to operate the lights but not enough to crank the engine or operate the starter.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ah I see. Ok. Well where would I get a load tester then? Sorry just frustrated with this thing ha ha
If you have a voltmeter you can test the battery with it. Using the VDC test, Hook your voltmeter to the battery and see what kind of reading you get, then try to start the engine while watching to see what the voltage reading does when you are trying to crank the engine. If the voltage drops below 8.5VDC when trying to start the engine then the battery is bad.If you don't have a voltmeter, you can take the battery to just about any automotive parts store and they will load test if for you for free. It would not make sense for you to purchase a load tester for a possible one time use, they can be expensive and unless you are in the business you just won't use it often enough to make it worth the cost.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for the help. I am an idiot and bought to weak of a battery. New home owner here. Thanks again
Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.Please take a moment to rate your experience.