Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a LT1042 with a less than year old PTO clutch. It finished

Customer Question

I have a LT1042 with a less than year old PTO clutch. It finished the season last summer in good working order. This year when I make a hard right turn the PTO stops pulling the belt that drives the blades. The PTO switch works when I first start it but after the hard right turn I have to wait up to two hours to get the switch to active the blades. HELP
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.
Is battery voltage good? Has to stay above 12 volts for the clutch to stay engaged. Also the mower has a reverse switch that cuts out blades when you back up. It breaks the circuit to the clutch. Could this switch be malfunctioning and cutting out the clutch? Have you checked the voltage t the clutch when it quits. Just turn on the key, and flip the pto on, do you hear the clutch magnet engage?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The batt. voltage is 12+. The key is a three position ignition switch. When I need to back up I turn the key one notch counterclockwise and the blades continue to rotate. You did not address the fact that the PTO is not consistent in operation, it cuts most of the time till I make a hard right turn but does not when I turn left. The PTO sometimes will not engage for an hour or so after it stops working. I let it set and about an hour later, most of the time, and start the mower and pull the PTO button and the blades start rotating.
With pto shutting off on tight turns, check the hsrness to the pto clutch, to be sure they sure not being pulled as you turn. Why it will run after it sits makes no sense, I would be prepared to test the pto clutch with two jumpers direct from battery when it quits, and with everything off, test to see if the magnet will engage.
If magnet works, clutch is ok, and problem is upstream. Some models have relay between switch and clutch. I need your full model number to look.