Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a Sears GT-6000 garden tractor. It has the Kolher 26

Customer Question

I have a Sears GT-6000 garden tractor. It has the Kolher 26 HP engine, I runs well untill it gets hot and then starts to cut out. I've replaced the fuel filter the fuel cap and the sparkplugs but it still cuts out when hot...Got any ideas?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I also replaced the air filter.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Have you checked, to see if the fuel shut off solenoid, on your carburetor, is failing after it gets hot?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I have not...How do I check the Solenoid? It seems that the wires are secure and in good condition.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Requesting Donald...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can the fuel cut off solenoid be removed from the carburetor? It seems the Sears wants to sell the whole carburetor...no replacement solenoid from Sears...
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
I am back with you. Your fuel shut off solenoid, should click each time you turn your ignition switch on and off. It has a spring loaded plunger inside, that must retract when your ignition switch is on, in order to allow your fuel to flow through your carburetor. Yes, you can remove it, to test it.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, If I can remove it, wgere do I look for a replacement?
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
I can get you some part numbers, if you have to replace it. I can also tell you where to buy it.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, The solenoid works when it is cold...? Now what?
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
I wonder if it continues to work after it heats up?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The engiine acts like it has fuel starvation after about 15 min.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I guess I could let it shut down and just listen for the solenoid when I turn the key?
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
That that would be a good test.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will not be able to do thatfor another 6 hours....I'll let you know what happens...In the mean time I would appreciate the part number for that solenoid.
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
No problem. All I need are the model and spec numbers from your engine.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Tractor model is Sears 917.28861 and the Kohler model is the SV736
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
Thanks! I will pull this up for you.
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
Can you double check your numbers? These numbers are not coming up. There should also be some spec numbers on a white tag, on your engine.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the SPEC number is ***** i MUST HAVE GIVEN YOU THE WRONG MODEL #. IT SHOULD BE SV736. SERIAL NUMBER IS(###) ###-####
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for these numbers. I will check for your part numbers.
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
Parts List - Click Here
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
Your parts list does not include your fuel shut off solenoid. I will check with my parts distributor, then get back with you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks...I'm traveling so be able to look at this over the weekend. I did not see the right carb kit when I looked let-a-lone the solenoid...thanks!
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for letting me know. I will work with you over the weekend.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello Donald, did you have any luck finding a fuel shut off solenoid?
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
I am still searching. I will reply back to you, in the morning.
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
I am back with you. The part numbers for your Fuel Shut Off Solenoid are 24 757 45-S. The part numbers for complete carburetor are 32 853 28-S.
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
The solenoid is sort of expensive, so it is best to make absolutely sure that yours is bad, before purchasing a new one.
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
You and I can continue from here. Thanks!