Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a 33" rider with a Briggs will start and run only if

Customer Question

I have a 33" rider with a Briggs will start and run only if the clutch pedal is depressed.when released the engine goes into a mis-fire/limp mode???
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. What is the make and model of your riding mower?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Is there any smoking or burning smell ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
snapper model(###) ###-####
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Ok , can you engage the blades with the break on ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
If so let's try that and see if it runs bad with the break on but blades engaged . If so this could be a carburetor issue. Sometimes a carburetor that is only partially blocked or gummed up will run great with no load on the engine , but the minute you put a load on them they run poorly . The reason is because the carburetor can't adjust the fuel and air because one of the passageways blocked or partially blocked
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand,but the engine runs perfectly with the brake/clutch pedal depressed..??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John...?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Because there is no load on the motor , no tension.on the belt . If we try keeping the pedal depressed but engage the blades and if it runs bad we know it's a load issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O.K...thanks..Goodbye
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
My response didnt post
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
The reason it's running good with rhe brake in is there is no load on the engine , so if we holdthe brake in and kick the blades on and it runs poorly we know it's a load issue and not the brake . Because the brake being released or the blades on both put a load on the engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Try starting it and put the brake on or lock the brake and engage the blades , let me know if it starts running limp , if so I'm betting it's the carb , especially if it's had gas in it all winter . You can reply back at any time and I'll be notified . Sorry my response didnt go through the first time . This is common with pressure washers , they run great until you squeeze the trigger an then die or run limp because there's a load on it and the carb isn't getting proper air because one of the ports is partially blocked , so it can't pick up rpms to make up for the load and starts running bad
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Check the wires for damage