Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 16 hp Walker mower that keeps blowing the fuse when

Customer Question

I have a 16 hp Walker mower that keeps blowing the fuse when the cutting blades are engaged? What would be the most common cause for this?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Mower starts fine however as soon as you engage the cutting blades the fuse blows. mower continues to run however if you shut it off you need to replace the fuse to start it again. It appears the is obviously an excessive power draw when the blades are engaged, Just wondering what to check first? Regulator? wiring?
JA: Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.
Most common problem is the electric clutch for the blades is pulling too many amps. It should pull less than 5 amps. The clutch may be an adjustable model, it would have three springs and self locking nuts on it , that can be tightened to move the armature and magnet closer to each other. If not the adjustable model,the clutch has to be replaced.