Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a 316 with the onan engine. It runs great mowing for

Customer Question

I have a 316 with the onan engine. It runs great mowing for approximately 45 minutes then the engine rpms race up and down. It will do this for at least another 15-30 minutes. After it quits this the engine rpms stay extremely high. I usually idle it down a bit and keep on mowing. I don't know what is doing this or if I am hurting it running it this way. I've had John Deere look at it 2 times last year and spent a good deal of money with them, but it is still running this way.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: It is approximately a 1990 year tractor that I bought used in 1994. It has been a very reliable tractor and I hope to get it fixed correctly. There has never been any loss for power. It does not burn oil excessively, just the usual little from time to time.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Delsley Jr replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I would suggest checking the fuel cap to see if the vent hole is plugged up. You can do that by replacing I or loosen it up a little to let air into the tank. It could also be the carb is dirty inside it and needs to be removed and cleaned good. Let me know if this helps you any.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will check out both suggestions this week. I can't do it tonight since the weather is not cooperating where I live. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks for now
Your very welcome.