Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a Kohler 30 HP gas engine which appears to have very

Customer Question

I have a Kohler 30 HP gas engine which appears to have very low or no oil pressure. The oil pump and internal area of the sump appear to be clean with no visible sign of breakdown of the oil pump and related parts. The engine ran fine until this, which began after an oil change which may be coincidental. I have replaced the oil pressure sending unit with no improvement. What could be causing this and is it likely to be the result of an internal engine failure?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: I have removed the front cover to expose the oil pump and even though it all appears to be in order I could just replace the oil pump and try it out. Or I could buy a new engine.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.
Page 59 shows oil pump relief valve to be part of the oil pump. With you already having the sump off, I would replace the oil pump. Did you run a manual gage onthe oil pressure before you tore it down?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes, almost undetectable pressure at the pressure sending unit. I have the case off and have installed a new pump and relief valve although there was no apparent defect in the old ones. I now, can't get the end cover back in place as the gear wheels on the governor and the oil pump will not mesh with the drive wheels on the main shaft. Any suggestions for that problem?
Turn the crankshaft a few degrees to let the gears move and mesh. As long as the crank and cam are timed , it will not hurt.