Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

My 26.0 HP Briggs engine s.n.14 0611 YG 14085 in a Sears lawn

Customer Question

My 26.0 HP Briggs engine s.n.14 0611 YG 14085 in a Sears lawn tractor continues to backfire. Its a 2013 which I add water treatment,fuel treatment and for winter storage I add fuel stabilizer and run it dry.I took it to a small engine shop under warranty but said nothing wrong.As a retired mechanic I am sure it,s a carburetor problem.What do you think. L.Milne
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: It does not appear to backfire when the mower deck is engaged.I would think it would be worse.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Does the engine ever smoke ? , have you checked the oil to see if it's thin or smells like gas? .
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I use synthetic 5w30 as stated in manual.Oil is fine and no gas smell.It does smoke briefly upon start up.I would say it is from too much choke if throttle is pushed to maximum choke setting.
When it backfires is a single loud backfire or continual ? . Most times excessive fuel can cause backfiring .
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Continual backfire when it does and then it may just stop and run OK.
If you have added water remover and other stabilizers it could be the cause , it sounds like it's intermittent did you add the stabilizers to a gas can and premix or directly into the tractor ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have not added anything to the crankcase oil.I added the fuel treatments to the tractor fuel tank because of the problem.This was on the advice of a servicing dealer for Sears Canada.By the way this isthe second machine because the first one ran so badly from new.Also this is a new replacement engine last year because the the governor on the engine ran away and blew a piston.I am not having much luck with this engine series.I also use Premium Shell fuel as to avoid ethanol fuel as told by dealer.
Ok was it backfiring before adding them to the tank ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes.And the first tractor I received new backfired and the service tech from Sears came to the house and said it needed a new carb so I returned it and had a new one delivered.It was ok for awhile then started to run like the first one.Another service tech told me to use water and fuel treatment.It ran better for some time and then the engine blew.After the new engine it started the same shit again.What else can I say.My old Sears tractor 19.5HP kept running for 20years and I sold it for $500 to buy this one for $3000 in May 2013.
I completely understand your fustration. I don't know why they told you to add stuff directly into the tractor. You can add the water remover but I only recomended a little bit due to the alcohol in it . Do you know what type and how much you added ?
You can try draining the carb and tank but I suspect it's still a carb issue with the main jet most likely