Tom
Tom, Technician
Experience:  Honda Platinum Technician
3827149

I have a John Deere Z425 with a &S twin V 23 HP motor that

Customer Question

I have a John Deere Z425 with a B&S twin V 23 HP motor that I purchased in early 2007. I recently pulled the engine to replace the "oil pan" gasket. After putting everything back together, the starter motor doesn't seem to have the same starting power as it previously did and makes a slight grinding sound while starting. I didn't mess with the starter during the disassembly or reassembly.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Tom replied 7 months ago.
Yes the most common issue is you did not install the starter correctly or did not install the spacer for the starter. This in turn damaged the starter and you will eventually need to replace the starter before that one fails. I've done this myself so don't be to hard on yourself. Hoped this helped. Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated. I'm here if you need anything else.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Tom, I never removed the starter from the side of the motor. I only removed the wires from the starter post before I pulled the engine. Therefor, I'm not sure that your answer applies to my malfunction.
Additionally, I removed the ground wire that ran directly from the battery to the engine mounting bolt before pulling the engine. All wires were reattached to their original locations.
Expert:  Tom replied 7 months ago.
No when you reinstalled the engine it could of not lined up correctly with the starter.