Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have an Ariens 22 HP 46" riding mower. When I take my foot

Customer Question

I have an Ariens 22 HP 46" riding mower. When I take my foot off of 'forward', and the pedal returns, not only will the mower still creep forward, but I then cannot push the 'reverse' pedal until I fully depress the brake pedal on the left side first. Then when I push 'reverse', it's not incremental- it goes fully into full-speed reverse.
Same thing, then, trying to go from reverse to forward- I have to depress the brake first. On flat ground, I could always go from forward to reverse to forward without the need for the brake pedal.
I have the mower deck off, and the battery box out so I can see the top of the transmission, and the front end up on blocks.
I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just answer. My name is***** you are still in need of assistance, I will be happy to assist you. Have you checked the condition of your transmission drive belt? You and I can continue from here. Thank!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Donald, thanks for writing.
I can still mow with it, so it isn't the drive belt. It's just that it used to be I could use the forward/reverse pedals (which are one rocker arm) at will. Now, it binds up. I wrote the Ariens website, and got a reply to look at the linkages on the top of the transmission, that it is usually crud there preventing the movement of the linkage. I took out the battery box so I could look at it, and nothing there. I went to a local Ariens dealer, (their mechanic wasn't there), and they printed out an exploded view of all the linkages, and my next guess is that the cruise-control might be catching on the gear sector, like a spring broke or a link separated or something. Trouble is, it's been raining here for 3 days, and the deck and the hood and the mower-up-on-blocks are currently under a tarp. Once the rain lets up, I'm heading back out with a flashlight and the schematic. Next problem is that the grass is almost too tall to mow after all the rain. I'll might have to get out the Farmall and brush hog.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
You are very welcome! I agree. Check for freedom of movement on your linkages. Check to see if one of your linkages are slightly bent, or distorted, causing it to partially bind.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Donald, All the linkages are free, nothing's binding. Everything is oiled. Still have the problem. I think it's within the tranny. I know it's sealed, but is there any way to check the oil level?
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
I just looked up your transaxle. I am not too familiar with this particular model. I can opt out if you like, to see if one of the techs, will know about checking your oil level.