Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

46"deck, 21hp briggs rider. turned it off now wont start. new

Customer Question

46"deck, 21hp briggs rider. turned it off now wont start. new battery, starter,silenoid. Its a 2011' has spark, fuel, ignition. It turns over but barely. I've jumped it, bypassed straight to starter. When i pull the spark plug it turns over great. When i reinstall the plug it wont hardly turn over. Ground is good. Totally stumped. Please help. Thanks Cliff
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.
Briggs single cylinder engine had internal compression release. Part of the camshaft gear, a spring loaded weight. To test, you would have to run a compression test, if over 100 psi, the compression release is broken. One thing that might help is the valve adjustment on the engine, Valves set to the minimum of .004 inch, might help.
Did you get my response?