Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have an Onan 22hp motor in my toro commercial mower. I am

Customer Question

I have an Onan 22hp motor in my toro commercial mower. I am trouble shooting the stator. I have 24 vAC when not connected to the voltage regulator. When I hook it up to the voltage regulator I have have 21.4vAC across the two outside terminals. When I check the center to ground I have 19.2vAC to ground. I am assuming the center is to be connected to battery according to my wiring diagram. When I go to hook up my battery to the regulator I am getting sparks like there is a ground somewhere. I did what I think is the correct way to check the voltage regular and it seems to check out ok. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.
Stator has to produce at least 28 volts AC, with engine running at full throttle. With less, it will not charge battery, as the recifier splits the voltage to DC, so output would be 14 volts with 28 volts AC. Seems like stator is bad.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That 24vAC was at an idle when I go to full throttle I get 44vAC in to voltage regulator and 33vAC out the middle lug of voltage regulator . When I go to put the battery on the voltage regulator I get a spark why?
Engine running? Spark would be the output of regulator charging battery. Have you had battery tested or replaced?
The output of regulator has to be in DC volts.??? You said the middle terminal was 33 volts AC? Middle terminal the output?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That is correct. Is the regulator bad?
Yes,the diodes are out in it.