Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

I have a Sears 18 hp 6 speed onan lawn mower. it will start

Customer Question

I have a Sears 18 hp 6 speed onan lawn mower. it will start only for a few seconds when spraying starter fluid. We replace the fuel filter. We changed out the diaphragm on the Carb. When we disconnect the line between the Carb and fuel pump from the Carb, it pumps gas out. If we connect it back to the Carb, it does not pull any fuel in through the line. We are kind of stuck trying to figure this one out.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 5 months ago.
If the pump is pumping fuel, but the carb is not getting gas, the carb is bad.It may just be a sticking inlet needle, or it may be a completely bad carb. Just changing out the diaphragm is not rebuilding a carb.To rebuild, it must be completely disassembled and cleaned, and a new kit installed, if one is available for it.