Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Toro string trimmer Model 51487, manufactured in March 2013.

Customer Question

Toro string trimmer Model 51487, manufactured in March 2013. I am having trouble with the line feed. The line feeds out uncontrollably and wraps around the barrel of the housing. I have tried both pre-wound and winding it myself. I suspect it might be the spring tension on the feed mechanism, but cannot figure out how to fix or replace it.
Is this a common problem with this model built in 2013? Is it fixable, or do I need a new tool? I suspect it is out of warranty. Thanks.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 7 months ago.
Hello, usually when that happens the string could be wound in the wrong direction or a spring was lost when taken apart.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 7 months ago.
The housing that the spool sits in could be worn or damaged too
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The string was wound correctly. In fact, I tried it in both directions just in case after the correct way did not work. The barrel is a little scuffed up, but not obviously damaged. It seems as though line feed is dependent on several factors: most importantly, spring tension and speed of rotation.
Is there a way to make this work correctly, or should I just junk it (and save the 24V lithium battery)?
Expert:  Vince O. replied 7 months ago.
Hard for me to say without seeing it and I don't know what the cost of a new one is. But if you are satisfied with the time it worked and plan on buying another than I would keep the battery and charger.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am not satisfied with anything about this trimmer, including the number of times I was able to use it. I was hoping to get some answers on how to get it working properly. Sorry, but I guess we are done here. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 7 months ago.
ok