JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

7 speed shift as you go transmission will only go in higher

Customer Question

7 speed shift as you go transmission will only go in higher speeds. Lower ones do not move the machine. Has less than 3 hours on it.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 7 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.You either have a variable speed pulley that is not working properly or there is a problem with the belts that drive the transmission.Since it is so new and has very low hours on it, I would suspect a variable speed pulley not working properly.This is a split pulley that the center sheave of the pulley works up and down to increase or decrease the speed of the belts which gives you the difference in ground speed. If the center sheave is sticking it will cause you to not have all of the drive speeds which is your problem at current. It could also be that the machine just needs and adjustment on the speed control or clutch system in order to make it work properly.If this is a new machine(less than 2 years old) I would highly recommend taking it to an authorized service center for the adjustments or repair. If it needs a new variable drive pulley, you want Troybilt to pay for it not you. It can be expensive if you have to replace the pulley.The variable drive pulley is located under the rear fender, the easiest way to access it is to remove the battery and go down through the battery compartment under the seat. You can access the variable drive pulley to check it from there.Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.Please take a moment to rate your experience.