timoto
timoto, Technician
Experience:  40+ years experience, Honda silver level tech., Honda power equipment tech
8313095

JA: . What is your issue regarding? Customer: I

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I have a Honda ex 5500 generator, after I run the engine for an hour the motor starts to shake, any idea what could possibly be the problem. Thank you
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: After I turn the motor of for 5 minutes it goes back to normal
JA: Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: That's basically it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  timoto replied 1 year ago.
Try removing the gas cap and see if the problem continues. If not then the gas cap is not venting properly. If it still occurs remove the sparkplug and let me know what color the center porcelain electrode is: black, brown, grey or white.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The spark plug is clean and the gas cap is properly set. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  timoto replied 1 year ago.
Have you inspected the condition of the air filter and checked the wire mesh screen in the end of the muffler for carbon build up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The spark arrester is clean, air filter is also fine. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  timoto replied 1 year ago.
I have see one instance of this problem. It was an ignition coil that was starting to fail. The problem was intermittent and the engine had to run for a long time before the symptom appeared. I was able to confirm the loss of spark by running the engine until it quit and then checked it for spark which it no longer had. In this instance after removing the coil I found it was visibly melted in one area. So that is what I recommend inspecting. Even if there is no visible damage to the coil I recommend replacing it as this is the most likely source of the problem and since it is an intermittent failure there is no way to test the part other than replace it with a known good unit.Please rate my answer so that I can get credit for assisting you. After rating you can always add a reply if you need more help wit this problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi.!
I think I made a mistake hiring your service. Not happy take too long to reply. The answer doesn't lead to good results.
Expert:  timoto replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will opt out.