JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Have &s. 9hp,I put a new carb on it cause it wasn't getting

Customer Question

Have b&s. 9hp,I put a new carb on it cause it wasn't getting gas I have good spark it starts briefly when I priem it thru the carb that's it don't no what else to check
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: New plug and check gap on the electric feed on the fly wheel
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 7 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.It sounds like you still aren't getting fuel through the carburetor. Have you checked to make certain that you are getting fuel down to the carburetor from the fuel tank? This is the first place I would start looking, make sure that there is good fuel flow from the tank to the carburetor, remove the fuel line from the carburetor and check for good steady fuel flow from the tank.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's getting plenty of fuel new gas, that's why I. Replaced the carb cause the plug was dry now it s wet with gas
But you indicated that the only way you could get it to start is if you primed it.
Which would indicate to me that you are not getting fuel through the carburetor.If it is getting enough fuel to soak the plug then it should start and run unless it is getting too much and flooding it in which case if you primed it, it would only make the flooding issue worse and would stand to reason that it would be harder to start or not start at all then. But based on what you have indicated the only way that you could get it to start is to prime it.Maybe the fuel that is in the machine is old and just won't burn therefore the plug would appear wet since the fuel is not burning, when you prime it through the carburetor you are using different fuel or carburetor cleaner which will burn and allows the engine to start and run until it burns that prime out and then dies.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How can I check the new carb to see if it's working
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's a brand new carb and new gas hi test
Since it is a new carburetor I would not recommend doing anything to it other than contacting the place that you purchased it from and explain to them what is happening and see if they won't send you a replacement for it. You should not have to take it apart or work on it since it is new, the supplier or store that you purchased it from should take care of it for you.In order to do anything you would have to take the carburetor apart and if/when you do that then the supplier may not want to work with you on it.Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.Please take a moment to rate your experience.