Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

Starting issues with a Craftsman riding mower about

Customer Question

***** *****-starting issues with a Craftsman riding mower about 15 yrs old
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Randomly won't start unless I put just the righ pressure on the seat; that's gotten worse; just replaced the solenoid with no better results I've looked up how to bypass the seat switch (replaced that a few years back too) and now the wires ore hanging out
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 5 months ago.
HI, my name is***** will be assisting you.So based on your information you currently have the seat switch bypassed or disabled, is this correct? I would not recommend running the machine this way since it does become a safety hazard. It sounds like the seat switch may be bad and not making a good connection all the time, at which point I would recommend replacing the seat switch. However, you can bypass the switch if that is what you want to do. It can be done for testing purposes by just unhooking the two that go to the switch and depending on the color of the switch (gray) tie the two wires together or (black) leave them separated and see if that helps your starting issue. If it does then you know that the seat switch is bad and needs to be replaced.