Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Toro / Briggs and Stratton 7.5 HP. It idles very

Customer Question

I have a Toro / Briggs and Stratton 7.5 HP. It idles very low and now it won't continue to run at all. It starts, then stops. I've cleaned the air filter, checked fluids. It seems like the throttle just won't open any farther than the cable allows which has a "stop" to keep it from going any further it appears. What should I look for??
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 7 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.There are a couple of things that I would suggest to look at.Governor spring to make certain that it is still attached and in good condition. If it is broken or stretched out it will cause the engine to not run the proper rpm.Fuel restriction in the carburetor jets.I believe that you will find that one of these two things will be your problem.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If its not the governor spring, how would I go about correcting a fuel restriction problem??
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've never gotten into the internal workings of a mower engine, so I might need a lot more detail on what to do. Thanks.
You would have to remove the carburetor and thoroughly clean all the passages and jets inside the carburetor in order to solve the issue.