Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Briggs has several engines 28B707, 28M707, 286707, and 287707. JA:

Customer Question

Briggs has several engines 28B707, 28M707, 286707, and 287707.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: They use the exact same piston, but each engine has different hp. Bore and stroke are identical. How is the hp different for each one?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: I am about to get all four different engines running. just curious how they have different hp ratings when the piston is the same part number on all of them.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.
The ratings are based on the maximum rpm that the OEM wants the engine to run! The higher the rpm, the higher the horsepower rating!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 months ago.
Did you get the answer? Please rate to close.