Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

We have installed an in-house Cummins C25-N6 (Spec A) back-up

Customer Question

We have installed an in-house Cummins C25-N6 (Spec A) back-up generator under an open deck which is attached to the residence. The walls & ceiling finish is 7/8 inch plaster (1 Hr.), however the horizontal exhaust muffler is only 21 inches clear of the ceiling. There is a fire systems sprinkler head directly above the genset. Other requirements in the installation manual C25-N6 (Spec A) & T-030 have been followed. Since there is not a 5 foot clearance above the exhaust, the County of Fresno Building Inspector (CA) questions the installation. The inspector is requesting direction from the Manufacture for any additional requirement, such as maybe a 2 hr. ceiling. NFPA 37, 4.1.2.1.2 & 4.1.2.2.2 addresses automatic fire suppression system allowance in some cases. I would like to attach an installation picture.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Going by the manual it says keep the exhaust 5 feet away from combustibles . I'm going to send a link to download it , it's section 3-1 . The only problem you may have is it does say don't let exhaust build up . Here is the link
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.norwall.com/product_pdfs/742_rs_quietconnect_installmanual.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiJ-p3CsrLMAhVisIMKHaefCJ4QFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNHnqWI7UPpI2LFT8peALPlhKtbLUw
Customer: replied 7 months ago.