Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 2001 generac impact 36 lp rv generator. it worked

Customer Question

I have a 2001 generac impact 36 lp rv generator. it worked fine last fall but this spring it would not cranck. I replaced the starter contactor and cleaned all wire leads and connections. the starter motor now trips on momemtarily but will not to continue to crack. this occurs with both the starter switch at the generator and remote switch in the camper. I also replaced the battery. What could be wrong
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.
Will the engine turn full circle? Try removing the spark plug and see if starter will spin engine, you may have fluid on top of piston.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not sure if its full circle. I will remove spark plug and try again. may take awhile since my usual tool box is not with me.
OK>
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will need to go purchase a spark plug wrench. I only have a 13/16" with me which is too big. you don't happen to know off hand what size I need do you?
3/4 is typical, but some have necked down to 5/8!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Curtis. Its 5/8". Removed spark plug. No difference. Starter Motor turns over momentarily but that is all. Does not continue to crank. If I hold the toggle start button it does this every several seconds. That i,s when I toggle the start switch (from either the switch at the generator or the switch inside the camper) the starter runs momentarily (maybe 1/4 second) and that is all. if I keep the button depressed after approx. 3-4 seconds it momentarily runs again and repeats as long as I hold down the start switch.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you familiar with this Generac unit?
No, i'm engine guy. Let me opt out and see if someone else can help. sorry.