Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Lawn tractor mower. 13.5 engine, runs fine until i start

Customer Question

Lawn tractor mower. 13.5 engine, runs fine until i start the engage the mower. Changed the fuel filter, air filter, engine oil and spark plug, new battery. Any suggestions?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.
Are the blades and deck pulleys free and not binding up? Does engine stall or does it cutoff like key is turned?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The engine gradually stalls out. I will check the blades and pulley arrangement. I always blow out the debris and grass from the top of the deck.
Is fuel tank gravity flow or does it have a fuel pump? You may not be getting enough fuel to keep the horsepower up.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is nothing between the gas tank and the carburator except the fuel filter so I guess it is gravity fed. This has never happened before. How do I know if there is a fuel pump. No manual, bought it used two years ago. The engine runs great without the blades working so I guess I need to check out the blades. Even if I turn off the blades while it is stalling out, it continues to quit running.