Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

FRC800 Tiller: The gear shift lever on my Honda FRC800 tiller

Customer Question

The gear shift lever on my Honda FRC800 tiller is jammed. How do I put it back in gear?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.
https://www.partstree.com/parts/honda/tillers-cultivators/frc800-a-honda-tiller-made-in-japan-sn-fahj-1000001/change-lever/
Take the outside cover off, see the link above, and try to manipulate the levers with a bar or screwdriver. You may have to remove the linkage and work the shaft going into the transmission. This usually happens when it is shifted from one gear to the next without going through neutral. If it can't be freed up, the transmission case has to be split!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not trying to sound too dumb; but manipulate the levers to what position? Will I automatically realize that the lever will be freed up to work as intended?
You want to get lever back into a neutral position. Works best if you have it up in air so you can turn wheels by hand , so you know when it is free in neutral.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The position that it is stuck in is neutral.
Is the input shaft turning , so the gears are spinning?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not sure what you mean. I can roll it around ; but cannot get the gear shift lever to move. When my friend was still available; I think he used a couple of screwdrivers and popped it into place.
I can't explain it. I will opt out and and see if anyone else can do a better job !Sorry.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 7 months ago.
Hello, if you remove the belt cover and turn the transmission pulley by hand can you get the shifter to move? If you need to disassemble the unit I have the shop manual
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have the shop manual 4-1 Belt Cover/ Pulley/ Tensioner Arm. By transmission pulley; I presume you mean the Driven Pulley. The tongue of the gear shifter that comes in contact with the slots of the exterior gear mechanism ( see page Shift Lever 14-1) is stuck in the middle rod coming out of the gear housing. It is now in the lower tilling speed but the change lever is stuck between 1 and R on the Change Lever Cover.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What does turning the transmission pulley by hand do that the belt does not do? The tines and wheels are turning now when you disengage the clutch. As I stated earlier; it is stuck in the lower tilling mode, but the shift lever does not indicate that and will not move.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you really serious? Asking for a rating when you have not responded to my questions.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 7 months ago.
I've been busy also and wanted to opt out sooner. Sorry I am unable to help you with your problem. Good luck.