Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Trying to figure out why my Poulan riding mower will not

Customer Question

Hi , trying to figure out why my Poulan riding mower will not turn over , just now having this issue , i replaced the battery maybe 2 months ago and have had no issues since then , i have also replaced the solenoid , plug , filters . Thinking maybe the fuel filter or possibly ignition switch , I have been educating myself on fixing my mower as i really have no one to help me , i am a female and have gotten it going many times , LOL
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Before this is would slowly turn over but not start , now the funny part ..... If i hosed off the flywheel and engine with the water hose it would turn over and start up with no problem !
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 9 months ago.
HI, my name is***** will be assisting you.Does the engine turn over now? What is happening when you try to start the machine? Engine cranking really hard? Slow to turn over? If you can get the engine started does it seem to run okay?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
NO ! I said in my question it will not turn over , nothing happens when i turn the key to start it , is not trying to crank .............
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Brand new battery , filters , please read my question !!!!!!!!
Do you hear any kind of noises when you try to start it? Any clicking, buzzes?
Your question doesn't say anything about whether it is turning over or not. I need to ask my questions in order to help diagnosis the problem.It will not be a fuel filter, the fuel filter has nothing to do with the engine turning over.It could be your ignition switch, a bad or low battery, a safety switch not allowing the engine to crank, the starter itself, a bad or faulty solenoid, valves out of adjustment causing the compression release to not work properly therefore the engine is hard to crank. We have to work a process of elimination in order to solve your issue.Do you have a voltmeter? We can do some electrical tests to help identify where your trouble is.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.