Wayne, Engine Rebuilder
Experience:  many years on egine rebuilding, lawn mower,roto tiller,Truck,and small engines

I have a old john deere riding mower that I parked last winter

Customer Question

I have a old john deere riding mower that I parked last winter and it was running perfect. I went to get it ready for the season, by draining all the old fuel, cleaned the carburetor, changed the oil charged the battery, replaced the spark plug. When I tried to start it, all it does is turn over. It is getting fuel, and will start and run when primed with starter fluid. But take the starter fluid spray away, it stops running. What could be wrong. I am a good mechanic, especially on large engines, but know very little about 2 and 4 stroke engines. Would appreciate someone's expertise on this matter. God Bless, Gerry
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Wayne replied 6 months ago.
Hi I'm Wayne I will help you with this what you are describing is the jets got plugged from old fuelI suggest to remove the carb disassemble , and boil out in a pot of hot water , 10-15 min, air dry, install a rebuild kit I hope this helped you Hi If this helped you Please rate my answer 3 or more starIf not use the reply button, not Bad/Poor serviceThis is the only way I get Credit for the QuestionI took the time to answer you Please take the time to reply Wayne