Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 26 hp model 446777. type 0316el. code040216y6 the

Customer Question

I have a 26 hp model 446777. type 0316el. code040216y6 the problem im having is I have week spark on left cylinder floods out at high rev on left side I have replaced the coil flip the coils new spark plugs flip the plugs rebuilt the carb clean the mag and flywheel check the keyway check the magnet on the flywheel strong.check compression right side 180 left side170 checked valves ok starts up fine and idles fine even at mid idle but floods out on high rev
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Have you tried removing the kill wire from both coils, then re-checking the spark on your left cylinder? There is a diode in your kill wires. If your diode has failed, this can cause our problem.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yes I have it still does the same thing but would it still do it with the wires off please call thank you
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
Are you requesting a phone call? There is an additional fee for phone calls.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
We can continue chatting. If your diode fails, this will cause one coil to fail. Are both of your coils new?
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
It should not do it, with the kill wires off, considering if both coil are ok.
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
Keep in mind, that only your ignition coils, and flywheel produces your spark.
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
You have confirmed that your flywheel magnets are strong.
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
So, our focus have to be on either a faulty new coil, or wires ...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
oky do you have any idea where its located it on a huskee thank you I put a new coil on the left side still does so I flip the coils still does it I fstill have good spark on right side left side still week and it still does it with the wires of
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yes the magnet is strong it will hold a wench
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for this information. Are you referring to the small black wires, that plug to your coils? I am just confirming.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I put the new on the left side and then flip the right and left coils right side is still strong left still week . yes one wire goes to the right side then splits off to the left side checked the wire at the split works fine kills engine when shut off
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
So, even after moving the right coil, to the left side, the problem still existed? What method are you using to check your spark?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a spark plug tester that lights up when its time to spark it plugs in between coil wire and spark plug
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
That's a good tool to use. What about the two surfaces, where your left side coil mounts, have checked to make sure these surfaces are clean?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yes
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
You have strong magnets on your flywheel, and a new ignition coil, in most cases you will get a good spark to your spark plug, especially if your kill wires is disconnected. What gap setting did you use between your flywheel and coil?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
10
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
That's good. I am wondering if your carburetor is at fault? Did you notice two small brass jets, after you removed your fuel bowl.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yes I put them back in the same spot
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
Ok ...
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
I cannot think of anything else that could cause our problem. If you like, I can opt out, to give someone else an opportunity to give this a shot, in case, I am missing something. Have you tried removing your spark plug wires, one at a time, as your engine is running, to see if your left cylinder stalls out.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
makes no diff run the same will I have to explain this stuff again to the other tech and will I be charged for this
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
You will not be charged, unless you get an answer to your question. The next tech will see our discussion in its entirety. You will not have to start over. Your satisfaction is important to me, and I am hoping someone can catch something, I may be missing.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
oky
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.
I will opt out now. I will keep an eye on your question, to see if you get a solution. I do hope all goes well for you. Please do not respond to me after I opt out, because a response will lock your question back to me. Thanks!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.
I have read the conversation and with weak spark only on the left side only, with you already changed coils and did all the checks, the magnet is same magnet that works fine on the right side, tells me that the left coil is not grounded properly. Either remove the coil and sand down the mounting points to get a better ground or add a separate ground wire to the mounting screw. See if that will give better spark.
And to make the cylinder fire with weak spark, try closing the gap up in the spark plug to .020 inch.
Did you find problem?