Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

Craftsman mower model###-##-####will not stay running, it

Customer Question

craftsman mower model###-##-####will not stay running, it start on the 1ST pull runs for 2 minute then stop like it ran out of gas, start it again, stop right away, let it sit for 10 and it will run another 1 min or 2 stop running again
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. When did you buy and install the new carburetor ?
Also are you using the same gas etc
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
so what answer for my problem ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do not want to call you, I did not get a real answer yet.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I put on a new carb. because it was doing the same thing before hand. new gas was used
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I bought and istall begin of April
Ok , im trying to help you find out why it's doing this but because I can't see the mower I have to ask questions. I looked up the model number but there's not much info on the engine , is this a Briggs motor ?
Also does it have a primer on it ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes it Briggs motor
190 cc ?
When you removed the old carburetor was the bowl full of gas
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I need to go check
Ok , also gas is flowing freely from the tank to the carb right ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes 190 cc, II drain the tank when I put the new carb. and run out freely out of the black hose , and the old carb, full of gas .
Ok does it have a primer ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No
Ok , I was going to see if it was a lack of fuel issue . When you installed the carburetor was the linkage spring in place also have you tried starting it without the air filter ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes the linkage spring is in place, I t does same thing with or without the air filter
Ok we know you are getting good fuel and have spark because it's firing up for a second , my worry is the compression. A engine needs spark , fuel and compression to run. You have spark and fuel . Being a 4 cycle engine it needs 60 psi to run or fighter , most good engines have 70 or so . If we test the compression on yours and it has 55 psi we know why it's not starting . It doesn't have the compression to run . So if you know someone with a compression tester or have one I'd check the compression .
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I hear what you are saying, but it fire up on the first or second pull run for 2 minutes, than stop, it run start and stop again,I will get a compression tester and check it out and get back to you on this matter, It will not be today can I email you, or how do I get back in touch with you?
You can reply to this conversation at any point . , does it run a whole 2 minutes or start up and die
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes, it run at least 2 minutes before it shut off, then it will start again but shut of right a way. let sit for 10 min. and it will run again for at least 2 minute before shutting off again .
That Def sounds like it could be the valves , as metal gets hot it expands , so cold it will run for 2 min, hot it dies right away . To eliminate a coil issue , check for spark at the plug right after it does . If it has spark after dying , you know the coil is good
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
how do you adjust the value, and what gap reading do I need for them
On your engine , there is part of the metal top that goes over the muffler , it will have a model , type and code , we will need that to get the valve clearances
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
128T02-1270-B1 09060256
Ok , all your specs will be on this chart under the 12000 series , it gives you all the specs . I would run it till it dies , then use a spark tester to test for spark at the plug , if you have spark check the compression before starting and right after it dies, if it's lower than 60 then we know it's a valve issue . Also crack the gas cap , a faulty gas cap can vapor lock a engine