Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a 2011 John deer z445 mower with a 27 ho Briggs

I have a 2011 John deer z445 mower with a 27 ho Briggs cyclonic.
It has been hard to start since new and the dealer never cared. I am fed up and just want it to be right.
It will literally take 20-30 sec of starting to start every time you go to start it to mow. May be a little less once you have run it for a while. But this can't be normal.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. After your engine finally start up, will it continue to run, to your satisfaction, up until you shut it off? Can you get the model, type, and code numbers from your engine for me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will look. I am not with the mower and won't be for a few days. I do know it's a Briggs 27hp cyclonic.

No problem. What about the performance of your engine, once it starts?

Please click on the link above. Let me know if the engine in the link, looks like your engine. If so, I will not need your model numbers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It runs fine once started. And yes that's the one in the pic

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know. When you are back at the location of your mower, check to see if your choke is fully closing. Due to your engine running fine, once it starts up, I am lead to believe that your choke is at fault, and is the source of our problem.

Do you have some carburetor cleaner in a can?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well this has been a problem since the day I bought it. Also, it has to be full choke for it to work. I will check to see if it's fully choking.

Are you saying that your choke has to be closed for your engine to continue to run??

Your choke cable may have been adjusted incorrectly since before you purchased your mower.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the lever has to be at full choke to start it. Even when it's warm.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is still hard to start even when warm

Sometimes, although your choke lever is in full choke position, does not always confirms that the choke valve on your carburetor is fully closed. Especially if your choke cable has slipped, or is not properly adjusted.

I would like for you to try something, when you are at your mower again ...

Instead of using your choke, remove your air filter housing, and your air filter, then spray a small burst of carburetor cleaner directly into your carburetor. Let's see if your engine will start up immediately. If so, then I would check to see if the choke is fully closing.

You and I can continue from here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can spray some starting fluid and it fires up like a champ

Awesome! Thanks for checking this for me. This strengthens my belief that your choke is at fault.

The starting fluid served as your choke ...