Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Have a 15 horse FH on the motor on my gravely zero turn mower

Customer Question

Have a 15 horse FH on the motor on my gravely zero turn mower cleaned out fuel tanks cleaned out carburetor still runs and Bogs out with the choke taken off will not run now is it possible it's the fuel solenoid underneath the bowl??
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ronnie. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Your fuel shut off solenoid, should click each time you cycle your ignition switch on and off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it sounds like it's clicking
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You can also remove it, then re-attach the wiring connector, then cycle your ignition switch on and off, as you observe the plunger inside your solenoid. The plunger inside of your solenoid needs to fully retract, when your switch is on.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Did you soak your carburetor prior to cleaning it?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Also, check to make sure you are getting a continuous, and steady flow of fuel, from your fuel tank to your carburetor.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
If you are getting a steady flow of fuel to your carburetor, and your solenoid is working properly, then our problem is very likely caused by your carburetor, although you have cleaned it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've got the solenoid out I don't know how to tell if it's bad or not
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I can tell you how to check it. Re-attach the wires to it, then turn your ignition switch on and off. Watch the spring loaded plunger, in your solenoid, to see if it moves fully in and out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok then what a joke won't recommend this site you've got my money though!!!!
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You do not have to pay, unless you are fully satisfied. Your satisfaction is very important to me.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I am willing to work with you, until our problem is resolved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The solenoid is not doing anything
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a 12 volt test light, or a multimeter? We need to determine if you are getting voltage to your solenoid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I do have a tester
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Awesome! Set your meter to read dc voltage. One of the wires in your solenoid connector, should read 12 volts, when your ignition switch is on. If you are getting voltage, then this indicates that your solenoid has failed. Let's see what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I was getting a reading of 11.6 which is 12 V with the switch on
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
OK. This means that you are getting voltage to your solenoid. Do you hear a click at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do hear a click but it is not coming from the solenoid
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
This confirms that your solenoid is at fault. To further test your solenoid, you use a plug in place of your solenoid. Find a plug with the same thread pattern as your solenoid. Screw the plug into your carburetor, then try starting your engine. Your faulty solenoid is shut off your fuel flow.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Plug Image - Click Here
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You can also make a plug, using a non-working solenoid. Just clip off the spring loaded plunger.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Ronnie, what did you find?