Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

My rider mower starts, runs, PTO will not engage when pulled.

Customer Question

my rider mower starts, runs, PTO will not engage when pulled. However, if pulled, when I get off seat, the engine stops as if it is engaged. Why?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: see above.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: the mower was purchased in 2002, runs well. Just replaced 30amp fuse and ignition switch.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.
Electric pto ? Make and model? Check the wires at the pto clutch under the engine, the wires may be unplugged or damaged from rats.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
craftsman gt 3000, electric start, 6 speed, model no.###-##-####
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you there Curtis, let me know please if you are still working on my answer. thank you.
Yes, did you check the clutch wires under the engine? Do you have a voltmeter to check the circuit?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes I just checked, I do have a voltmeter, somewhere. But, what about the part that when I engage PTO, it doesn't work, but, when I get off of the seat, the engine shuts down, safety mechanism, as if the PTO was working. The day the PTO stopped working I had just done first lap around yard with it working.
That means the pto switch is good, that is why I would check the wires under the engine to the clutch.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you, ***** ***** to go to an event. can we resume in 3 hours?
Yes, I should be here.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am back, will check wires under engine.
OK< I just back home myself.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.
did you find problem? Please rate to close.