Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a craftsman mower , model number###-##-####with

Customer Question

hello I have a craftsman mower , model number###-##-####with a new battery it will run about an hour before it kills the battery even at full charge ....whats the problem most likely?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: i put brand new battery on it and could cut my grass almost before it dies now this is why the mower is running full throttle so i don't know why the battery is dieing its like something with the charging system isent working right
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Do you have access to a digital multimeter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
gotta ask a neighbor
don't have one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got one now!! got lucky lol
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like the stator or alternator , what is happening is to pulls off the battery when running and the engine isn't putting a charge back in it .. if you have a digital multimeter charge the battery up first then take the multimeter and put it on 20 dc volts . Put it on the battery before starting it , it should have 12 volts , when you start it it should have 13 volts or higher , if it's stays the same voltage and starts dropping it's the alternator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok ill charge the battery over night then trouble shoot it tomorrow ...u say if it don't go up in volts when starting and looses volts its the alternator correct sir?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so i took another battery out of the friends and for sure it drops volts! but i cant find the alternator on the parts site for this mower.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'm trying to see if you have a kohler or briggs engine but both have them located under the flywheel
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
I tried looking by the model number but it doesn't give the engine type , if it's a Briggs it will have a model , type and code on the ohv cover , if it's a kohler engine it will have a model and family on the engine cover
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a Briggs 20hp
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Ok it should have a model, type and code on the ohv cover