Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a 14.5 HP 42" cut craftsman riding mower. It cranks

Customer Question

I have a 14.5 HP 42" cut craftsman riding mower. It cranks and fires up when I pour fuel down the carb throat but shuts down after that fuel is burned. The fuel shut off solenoid checks out good, what could it be?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. This is an indication that your carburetor needs to be cleaned.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I took the carburetor apart & cleaned it.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.
Sorry for the delay. I step away from my computer. Did you soak your carburetor, prior to cleaning it. Did you use a small wire to clean the small jet and fuel passages inside the body of your carburetor? Make sure you are getting a steady flow of fuel from your fuel tank, to your carburetor. We can continue from here. Thanks!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I cleaned the carb before I spoke to you about the issue, it is getting fuel but shuts down after initial start up.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.
Will your engine continue to run if you partially choke your carburetor?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No the choke doesn't seem to effect it.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.
Let's try something else when you have an opportunity. Start your engine by spraying some carburetor cleaner directly into the throat of your carburetor. As your engine begin to shut down, spray another small burst into your carburetor. Let me know if you can keep your engine running by doing this.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.
Another thing to try. Remove your fuel shut off solenoid from your carburetor, and replace it with a plug that will screw in, in place of your solenoid. Let's see what happens.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will give those things a try tomorrow.
Talk to you then; have great Sat nite, Go Blazers!
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.
Absolutely! I hope your night is equally as great!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I tried removing the carb solenoid and replacing with a plug. Still only runs long enough to burn up starting fluid.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for checking. This rules out your fuel shut off solenoid. You have two options at this point. You will need to remove your carburetor and clean it again, or replace your carburetor with a new one.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.
A good soaking may help ...
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I notice that the carb is blowing fuel back out the throat of the carb, which one would think it would be sucking air in an intake direction. I cleaned the carb again with the same result.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.
Blowing fuel back through the throat of your carburetor? Is your engine an overhead valve engine?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
15.5 hp OHV yes it is
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.
Have you checked your valve clearances?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.
Are you familiar with checking your valves?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, but can't imagine why or how they would have changed overnite.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.
Just a thought. I am sure you have done a good job of cleaning your carburetor. It may be time to consider purchasing a new carburetor.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have purchased a new carb to the tune of $170 and it will be here this week. Sure hope this fixes the problem!
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for letting me know. Based upon what we have covered, I do feel it will fix our problem.