Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines

My engine will crank on the first pull, after I hit the primer

Customer Question

My engine will crank on the first pull, after I hit the primer button 3 times, it will run for a few seconds then die !! If I take the breather off and hold my hand over the carb intake it will stay running . Whats up???
JA: I'll do all I can to help. I'm good. And you?
Customer: Fine , trying to cut this grass !!!
JA: Glad to hear it. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: My mower won`t stay running. It wiil crank on the first pull but only run for a few seconds, I think its scared of grass ???
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: I can take the air filter off and hold my hand over the carb and it will run longer, Fresh gas
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Many times this is an indication that your carburetor is starving for fuel. You will likely need to give your carburetor a really good cleaning.