Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a cub cadet Z-force48 with fabricated deck. purchased

Customer Question

I have a cub cadet Z-force48 with fabricated deck. purchased new,along with a GT1554,fro tractor supply in 2008. I have NEVER been able to use the Z-froce 48,since I have owned it. I have spent lots of $'s on belts,but can't keep the drive belt on for longer than 15/20 minutes. I can't even give the mower away… do you have any suggestions ??
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.
WHich belt is coming off, the drive belt for the transmission or the belt for the deck? Are pulleys lined up? Are the belt guides in place and close enough to the pulleys to keep the belt from coming off? Belt guides need to be so close to the pulleys that the belt can't be removed without moving the guides.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it,s the drive belt. the deck belt seems to be o.k. I have had the piece of junk to an authorized cub cadet dealer,more than once. they say they can't find anything wrong. however, they charged me every time for pick-up and delivery and for a service call.this unit has onle 130 hours usage since 2008. I dont'know about guides and/or or anything out of the ordinary by looking at parts diagrams. I am not mechanically inclined.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
there are no keepers or belt guides anywhere on the deck,for either the deck belt or the drive belt. however,there does seem to be some belt rub marks on the frame just in front of the left rear tire.
The transmission drive belt is installed and once the springs tension it, should not come off. As long as the pulleys are aligned and the belt is tight, it should not come off. It's not like a mower that the belt is disengaged by pushing in the clutch to loosen the belt and stop the unit. Seems like something else has to be going on, like something getting into the belt system, throwing the belt off. Why would belt be rubbing at the left wheel?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am looking at parts assembly diagram fig shows the idler arm assembly with what looks like two spacers(#26) wich is a spacer,but doesn't show a number for the smaller spacer. the deck only has one spacer on ti. it looks like the smaller of the two. how can i find out if two spacers are required and what the specs are??? My old eyes make me think the the pulley near the spring is lower than the other pilley on the assembly.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
my mistake. it looks like two spacers for the whole idler assembly.
I need your exact model number to find the parts list for your mower! I looked as a basic Zforce. I would use a straight edge on the pulleys and see if they are out of alignment, and space them t get them even.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok thanks. bye
Thank you . Please ACCEPT to close.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.
Please rate to close.