Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Curtis - On my JD 111, I ran out of gas. I coasted down

Customer Question

Hi Curtis -
On my JD 111, I ran out of gas. I coasted down the hill toward the shed, forgetting to turn off the pto. Put gas in, but the starter is stuck engaged after trying to restart.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello John. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Our problem is likely your solenoid, or your ignition switch. Do you see a small purple wire attached to your solenoid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to take the battery out to see the solenoid?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
How old is your mower?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1983 or so.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
To locate your solenoid. The is a large red cable, that goes from the positive post on your battery, to your solenoid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No phone at this point. I see the cable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the solenoid is under the battery tray
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Do you see your starter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, yes. I'm telling that it is stuck engaged.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
The reason I am asking, is because I am trying to determine if your solenoid is mounted on your starter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Is your engine a Briggs and Stratton?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
11 hp. Hard to find your response w these ads.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for confirming. Let's try something. Remove the wiring connector from your ignition switch, then re-attach your battery cable to your battery. Let's see if your starter will continue to turn, with your connector removed from your switch.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
This is just a troubleshooting procedure ...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The starter is engaged. It won't turn.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
When you say engaged, are you saying that it continued to turn your flywheel, up until you disconnected your battery?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I'm saying the the motor won't turn, and the starter is engaged on the flywheel. How do I disengage it.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I understand you now. Try turning your flywheel backward, to see if this helps. If not, loosen the two bolts, and remove your starter from your engine, to inspect the condition of starter gear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried turning the fly wheel, wouldn't go. I can take the starter off, but how will it reset (go down)?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
After you remove your starter, you will be able to determine if your starter gear is worn, or if your Drive is bad. I will attach an image for you.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Focus on the areas of your starter, that I highlighted with the red arrows.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Clink on the image link above, to open image. Also, check the condition of the teeth on your flywheel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I figured out how to turn the starter down. It is going up and down just fine, but the engine won't turn. Should I be able to turn the flywheel manually, and if so, which wdirection?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Awesome! Yes, you should be able to turn your flywheel clockwise by hand. If it does not turn, remove your spark plug, then try again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it won't move, so now I'm thinking pto froze.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I would remove the pto first, then try rotating your flywheel. If your engine still does not rotate, remove your flywheel, then check to see if one of your charging magnets has fallen from your flywheel, and wedged between your flywheel, and your charging stator.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's beyond me. I don't have an impact wrench for the pto.
I have to move on to other stuff today.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
No problem. The procedures above are just process of elimination. I am hoping your engine is not frozen. I hope our problem is external.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pto has always been an issue. I can turn the pulley now. Not sure.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Did you try turning your engine with spark plug out??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure if this conversation is till viable. Tried turning the engine w the spark plug disconnected, but out. Why would that make a difference?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am still with you you. The reason I suggested removing your spark plug, is because with your spark plug out, we can eliminate compression as an issue.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You may have internal issues preventing your engine from turning, but I always like to rule out everything external first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I can try that. Sorry, I have to go to work. Will have to pick this up later.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
No problem John. I do not mind working with you, until we discover the cause of our problem.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
We can continue when it is convenient for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome!