Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a 17.5 hp OHV Briggs & Stratton engine. While turning

Customer Question

I have a 17.5 hp OHV Briggs & Stratton engine. While turning on start, it slows down like the battery is going dead but the it has a fully charged battery. I have switched out the battery, switch and starter(I have another identical unit as a spare) and it still does the same thing. Once it does get started, it runs great for about 5-7 min before it just stops and I'm back at square one. The valve clearance seems to be within spec. Any thoughts?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Hello Darrell. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Many times when this problem occurs, it is due to either your valves being out of adjustment, or the compression release mechanism on your cam gear has failed.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
The most likely of the two possibilities, is your valves out of adjustment. You and I can continue from here. Thanks!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is no excess play in the valves, in fact it seems that they are within spec. How do you check for compression release mechanism failure?
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Did you use a feeler gauge to check you valve clearances? You will have to remove your engine from your frame, in order to check your compression release. I would like for you to try something. Remove your spark plug, then turn your key to spin your engine. Let's see if your engine will spin freely with your spark plug out.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
turns over as normal without the spark plug. Guess I need to revisit the valves.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for checking. This confirms that either your valves needs to be adjusted, or your compression release is bad.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your help, Donald.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
You are very welcome! I do hope all goes well for you.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
When you have an opportunity, please take a moment to rate my answer. Thanks!