Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a 425 johndeere garden tractor. some times it starts

Customer Question

i have a 425 johndeere garden tractor. some times it starts and sometimes no. battery is good and well connected. fuel pump is new and operating. it seems the ignition module may be the problem but i'd like to be sure whats wrong. any thoughts?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: no, it either starts and runs or just sits and grinds. once it starts it doesnt stop.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.
Engine spins but won't start? The 425 had a fuel solenoid external to the carburetor. It hs to open as soon as the key is turned on. # ***** in the link below. Just bypass it and see if engine will start when it will not start. Run line from fuel tank/filter direct to the carb.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i looked down the carb as i cranked the engine and i saw fuel dumping down the carb but it wont start. whhen it wont start, there is no spark at the spark plugs. when it does start, both cylinders run. ??
If it is loosing spark, it has two pulsar coils, two ignition coils and a single ignitor. It also has oil pressure switch and water temperature switch. So it is not fuel.. Would have to be oil pressure switch or the ignitor.