Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I recently purchased a used Craftsman###-##-####lawn tractor

Customer Question

I recently purchased a used Craftsman###-##-####lawn tractor with Briggs and Stratton 28U707 type 1174-E1 engine. Problem is the engine won't run at any speed lower than half throttle. I replaced the fuel filter, air cleaner, and spark plug. Then I removed the carburetor and took it to a local small engine repair shop. They cleaned the carb and replaced the inlet seat and needle valve. I replaced the carb but still had the same problem. So I took it to a different small engine place that has been in business for over 30 years. In removing the carb a second time I accidently broke the plastic part on the choke shaft. The installed a new choke shaft kit and a new idle mixture screw and cleaned and checked the idle circuit to make sure it was clear. They charged me $83.44 for this service. I reinstalled the carb but still have the same problem. The engine dies when I move the throttle down below the normal mowing speed. I tried adjusting the idle mixture screw and the idle speed screw but no luck. The choke closes fully in the choke position and opens fully in the slow position so I know the cable is adjusted correctly. Can anyone please help?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.
Engine will not rev up, or it will not idle?
Is this your carburetor? See the link above. It has an idle screw adjustment, figure 3. Have you tried to adjust?
Did you see my response?