Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Here is the situation: 2003 mower with Honda GXV670 engine.

Customer Question

Here is the situation: 2003 Scag mower with Honda GXV670 engine. I am the original owner and I only use it on my lawn (residential use only). When the mower is hot, I cannot restart it without much noodling with the choke and praying. I don't know if it's the solenoid, control module, coils, choke, etc.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.
Have you ever checked the valve clearance on the engine? Valves too tight can cause hard start when hot. See page 17 in the attached manual.
http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/engines/pdf/manuals/37Z6E603.pdf
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I haven't checked that yet. I've never done that before. Would they move over time? I only have about 500 hours on the mower.
Yes valves wear over time and can close the clearance gap. Honda recommends every year or 300 hours.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do I check the gap with a feeler gauge, like I would use on spark plugs? (the stick type, not the dial type obviously)
Yes, a feeler gage. a stick type.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I hope that's it because it's probably the least expensive thing it can be. About how sure are you that's it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not challenging you by the way, just curious, based on your experience, how often that's the problem, etc. Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also, how do I adjust? With shims? Or is it just a matter of a nut adjustment?
This is twin engine , so it has dual coils, and both would not be failing at same time. and it starts when cold. So valves are a real possibility. I see it often on this site! And I have encountered myself first hand. i
And it is a cheap fix. If not the valves, it can be the fule shutoff solenoid in the carburetor, that does not openas soon as it should.
They have adjustment nuts and screws.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Any chance it's either the crank shaft sensor or cam shaft sensor. I didn't come up with those on my own. Also, can you tell me about the fuel shutoff solenoid in the carb? Is that something I can replace on my own? Or adjust on my own?
It has no crank or cam sensor! Fuel solenoid just screws into the carb. It is anti-backfire solenoid, and plugs the main jet, it has to open as soon as the key is turned on. Has to have 12 volts to stay open.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That's good about the no crank or cam sensor. Thanks for the help. I'll try your suggestions. Have a good night.
Thank you! Please ACCEPT to close and get me credit/
Did you get to check the unit?