Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I'm getting a code 17 (which I think is a fuel pump code),

Customer Question

I'm getting a code 17 (which I think is a fuel pump code), it's a 2005 8000 quite diesel, we felt that it was a battery issue so we tried to jump it, the fault code appeared when we tried to jump it off with a car, any suggestions?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 7 months ago.
What is the model number?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Model #8hdkak11451h
Serial # *****
Expert:  Hank F. replied 7 months ago.
Code 17 is Fuel Pump Fault. It means that the controller sensed an open circuit in the fuel pump. First check the wire connections at the fuel pump. Make sure both wires are making good contact.Next, unplug the positive wire (tan) from the pump, and test the wire for 12V while holding the PRIME switch. If oyu do not get 12V, either the wire is broken between the inverter, or the inverter is bad. If you have 12V, test the neutral wire for good continuity to ground.Jump 12V directly to the pump. If the pump does not come on, the pump is bad.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have a guy coming out tomorrow tomorrow to fix it, thanks for trying, I'll let you know what he says if you would like.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 7 months ago.
No, that is not necessary. I see this code several times a year.