Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

My Poulan Pro riding mower was unable to engage and with the

Customer Question

My Poulan Pro riding mower was unable to engage and with the 'clutch' also being the 'brake', I was unable to engage any braking. I removed the wheel and the plate immediately behind the wheel and found a small pebble that had lodged behind the plate that was attached with two bolts. I attempted to remove the bolts to remove the pebble but I broke one of the bolts off but was unable to extract the plate and I unfortunately mangled the plate, bolt and spring. I attempted to use a tap/die set to remove the broken bolt was totally unsuccessful.....so now what should I do?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Hello Ken. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Most of the time, if one of the bolts breaks off inside your transmission housing, it will be extremely difficult to remove it. Do you have an Easy-Out Bolt Extractor? If not, it will be worth it, to pick up one, and give it a try. You can also use a blow torch to heat the area. Just be careful with the torch.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
If the Easy-Out does not work for you. You may consider using a good quality Titanium Drill Bit, to drill through the bolt. If you can successfully drill through your bolt, but damage the threads inside the hole, you can possibly use a Heli-Coil, to repair your threads.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Can you take a picture of the damaged area? I would like to take a look. Let's hope you do not have to replace your transmission housing.