Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My new Husqvarna 440 chainsaw only starts with the throttle

Customer Question

My new Husqvarna 440 chainsaw only starts with the throttle depressed. Can't start it by pulling the choke out as instructed. Would like to know what's wrong if anything. ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just bought a new chainsaw at Lowes- a Husqvarna 440. Could not get it start at all according to the instructions, which states to pull out the choke, pump the button a few times get fuel moving, then pull the cord. The spark plug is wet and the thing obviously floods quickly. If I keep the throttle in and pull the cord, it starts right up.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.
Wet plug shows the cylinder has too much fuel. try less choke, or no choke at all. Prime it, push in the compression release and set the handle. The see if it will start without throttle. It takes a little time to get the right combination, I have a 455, and love it.
Were you able to get it going?